A Short Walk

1 Mar



For those of you who are shed hunters, this past weekend was absolutely gorgeous and a perfect time to knock the dust off my legs that had accumulated over the month of January. This weekend also marked my daughters 3rd birthday… man time fly’s. Saturday was spent with the family eating cake and ice cream, playing cards, and enjoying each others company.

Because the party was at my parents house, I was really close to my main hunting property. I had this little voice in the back of my head, like I always do, telling me that I needed to find some time to sneak away and do some shed hunting. That didn’t happen Saturday, but first thing Sunday morning, before the rest of the family was up and moving, I was able to tip toe out the back door. It was the perfect day for shed hunting, cool but not cold, and slightly overcast. I feel that bright and sunny days make it harder to find sheds because of all the shadows that are being cast.

Knowing that I only had a limited amount of time before I got the dreaded “When will you be back?” text from the wife. I wanted to go to a destination area where the deer spend a lot of time and are active when they get there. So I decided to hit up a picked corn field near a large section of timber where we usually find one or two sheds every year. One person can walk all of the field edges, terraces, and buffer strips in about 2 hours. So that’s what I did.

It was about 30 minutes into the walk that I stumbled on to my first shed. I had just walked from the end of a buffer strip and cut across the open field to start walking a group of three grassy terraces in the middle of the field. The first find of the day lay tines up perfectly in the middle of the first terrace. It looked like someone had purposely placed it there.



First find of the day, as it lay.


Once I finished walking the terraces I then finished walking one of the field edges to a corner of the property and then turned 90ยบ and continued my walk down another property line. I was weaving in and out of a small sliver of timber that intertwined the property line when I received the “When are you coming home?” text from the love of my life. My response is always… “On my way.” no matter how far away from my truck I really am, it seems to work.

Now it’s time to give my wife credit. If it wasn’t for her I would have never found my next shed. When I stopped to respond to the text message I was standing in the middle of a buffer strip that ran into the field. As I was sliding my phone back in to my pocket I noticed 3 tines barely sticking out of the grass about 3 feet from the toe of my boot. “Hot damn!” I yelled.



This shed was found by pure luck.


I took my standard “as they lay” picture before I pulled it out of the grass. Little did I know the best part of this find was yet to come. As I pulled the shed out of the grass, and after I gave it the once over, I realized it came from a buck I have been chasing over the last 4 years. Although this antler was one year old, it has no chew marks, that is very rare. I had looked at so many trail camera pictures of this deer over the years that I knew every characteristic of his antlers. I found the other side of this rack almost exactly one year from the date I found this one, only about 600 yards between the two. Not the biggest rack in the timber but, this buck has one huge body and we estimate to be somewhere around 8 years old if he did in fact make it through the season. The last picture I had of him he didn’t look so good.



Found one year apart, this is the 2014 rack of a buck called Ryan Eyberg.

This will be the 6th shed we found off this deer and the 3rd matching set. My buddy found two years of sheds off this buck in one day of walking a couple years ago. Needless to say, I was jacked.


This is one of the last pictures I received of Ryan Eyberg. Between his face and hind legs, he doesn't look good.

This is one of the last pictures I received of Ryan Eyberg. Between his face and hind legs, he doesn’t look good.


My shed hunting season was already a success and I had only walked less than 2 hours. I was so happy that I decided call it a day and head back to the truck by way of the buffer strip that I was already standing in. By the time I reached the end of the buffer strip I wasn’t even thinking about shed hunting, just all of the past history with Ryan Eyberg. Just when I thought my walk was over, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. “Hot damn!” another shed! Nothing big, but any find is a good find.




Three sheds in a two hour walk, that’s what I call success.


I am looking forward for the next two weekends as I will be putting on as many miles as I possibly can looking for the infamous White Gold.

Thanks for reading,
Dan Johnson

One Response to “A Short Walk”

  1. Clint March 2, 2016 at 2:15 am #

    That’s an awesome first outing. My weekend at our farm netted zero sheds, and one hangover. But I spent all day Saturday in the timber…so it was a win!

Leave a Reply