Son Of A B*%#&!

11 Sep

I would love to have an encounter with 2 Pac, a buck I shot in 2013 and didn't kill. He's not as big as last year, but I estimate him to be a 6 year old.

I would love to have an encounter with 2 Pac, a buck I shot in 2013 and didn’t kill. He’s not as big as last year, but I estimate him to be a 6 year old.

I know I’v mentioned this 1000 times, but I live over an hour away from my main hunting property. With that said, every trip down there needs to be as efficient as possible. Wednesday after work I packed up my daughter and decided to check my trail cameras one last time before I headed out to Idaho for my elk hunt.

After I dropped the little one off at grandma and grandpa’s house I put the pedal to the metal and headed out to the farm. While driving I was daydreaming of the deer that were standing in front of my cameras. How much have they grown since the last time I check the cameras? Were they hard horn yet? Did any other big bucks move in to the area?

Mark Kenyon is an absolute stud of a deer. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he will be displaced this season because of the logging.

Mark Kenyon is an absolute stud of a deer. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he will be displaced from his main area this season because of the logging.

As I pulled in to the CRP field where my first camera was located I was pretty optimistic about this card pull. That was until opened up the camera. No pictures? No pictures?! NO F***ING PICTURES! Are you kidding me! Over the years I have become obsessive compulsive with my cameras. I meticulously double, triple, and quadruple check my trail cameras to make sure they are working properly so that in 30 plus days when I return there is something waiting for me. I’m not sure what happened. Although I was pissed, I reset the camera, reformatted the SD card, turned it on, and went about my business.

The next card I pulled was successful, and that made me happy. I then headed off to check the camera that I was most excited for and that has captured pictures most of mature buck on the farm. It’s a bit of a walk to this cameras so to pass the time I was doing what I usually do and thinking about what wind directions would be best to hunt this area. When I reached the camera location I noticed that the mineral station had been worked over really well. NO F***ING PICTURES! I was so pissed I kicked over 4 stalks of corn and threw a couple of air punches. All I want is a trail camera that takes pictures. They don’t need to be perfect, just clear enough for me to recognize what deer is in front of the camera. When I put in the SD card and turn it on, without having to reset it or format the card. I want to have faith that when I come back to check it the following month the camera did its job. You would think that with the technology out there today a trail camera would be able to automatically format a SD card to take pictures… guess not. But, you can’t blame the device, ultimately it’s my fault. On to the next one. Rant over.

Here is a new buck that showed up. I'm not 100% convinced he is a 4 year old. What do you think?

Here is a new buck that showed up. I’m not 100% convinced he is a 4 year old. What do you think?

After checking two more trail cameras before heading down to the bottom for my final card pull I noticed large tire tracks as well as large piles of trees. My stomach sank when I realized they were logging the property. I didn’t have the time to walk through the timber to see how much they were taking or what parts of the property were being effected, but I do know there are certain parts of the property that have a lot of mature trees near some very good bedding. This is not good for the short term. However, logging can provide some very thick cover over the next couple years and create some awesome bedding areas. As I was pulling out of the property I stopped in to speak with the land owner and to ask more questions about the logging. From what I understood the entire property is being logged over the next couple months. This means that they will more than likely be in and out of the property the entire month of October and part of November depending on how many good days they have to work. I’m absolutely freaking out! My vacation is the first two weeks of November and I am not even sure if my main farm is going to be worth hunting. I have heard horror stories about what logging can do to properties and how long it can take for properties to recover. I need to start thinking of some backup plans.

I bet I have 30 pictures of them dragging trees out of the timber. I hope there's at least one tree left for my stand.

I bet I have 30 pictures of them dragging trees out of the timber. I hope there’s at least one tree left for my stand.

Son of a...

Son of a… This could cause a problem.

Two hours later, after eating an egg sandwich and putting my daughter to bed, it was time for me to finally check my SD cards. Although two of cameras didn’t work and two of the cameras were filled with logging equipment, I still had a couple mature bucks show up that I recognized. Mark Kenyon, 2 Pac, Dork, and a big eight who I have yet to give a name were still in the area and were looking really really good. Typically, after the crops are harvested the deer head deeper in to the timber away from crop fields. This year with the logging taking place I have no idea what to expect. Good thing I’m mobile.

See below for more pictures from this last card pull.

As always, thanks for reading!
Dan (DFW)

(Ѝâ@½è‡

Here’s a nice 8 that might make the hit-list. Not sure if he’s 4 or not.

(Ѝâ@½è‡

Dork is a 6 year old buck with a giant body (300 lbs.) and cool antler characteristics. 100% on my hit-list. I would consider this a successful season if i could just see him on the hoof.

(Ѝâ@½è‡

Another new 8 that has recently showed up. Based on other pictures I have of him he looks to be a 4 year old.

(Ѝâ@½è‡

This 3 year old has some major potential and looks to be of the same bloodline as No Show Jones. Maybe?

(Ѝâ@½è‡

Love to see a bachelor group like this. This years Larry’s are next years studs. Let ’em go so they can grow!

We've gone hard-horn!

We’ve gone hard-horn!

10 Responses to “Son Of A B*%#&!”

1. Asmith September 11, 2015 at 3:27 pm #

Hi Dan, sorry to hear the news about the logging. Hopefully there will be some good ground to hunt during your vacation. Just curious, what type of cut are they doing in the timber? It will probably make things difficult this year but might not be all that bad in the future, depending on what timber is left. Thinking positive, you could use this opportunity to start planning for future hunting strategies and habitat. Knowing what timber is going to be left you could begin thinking of areas that might be open for food plotting that weren’t available before. You could talk with the land owner and maybe consider doing some prep work in these areas this year for planting next year. And i dont necessarily mean planting food. You could plant some cover as well.

Just some ideas…

Stay positive!

2. John Bischoff September 11, 2015 at 10:32 pm #

Hey Dan, sounds like a typical day for me! Logging off this year will be great for next year, I was once told by an old timer that the year after a property is logged someone always kills a big buck there, the next year my hunting camp was logged off and the year after I killed a respectable 10pt for Michigan there. You will have tons of forage and cover. “With that said” good luck brother!

• Dan Johnson September 21, 2015 at 11:58 am #

Thanks John! Good luck to you as well.

3. Tom September 13, 2015 at 5:06 pm #

I checked my cams this weekend and a frikin moth died right were the sensor is. Usually for that spot I’ll get 1000 pics in 2 weeks. Got zero musta happened right away. Just hate to think what could have walked by….

4. JGP September 14, 2015 at 8:08 pm #

I had a similar experience this year. While checking my camera, I hear machinery nearby. Turns out to be a bulldozer knocking down trees! The farmer to the north of me obliterated several acres of standing timber and thick brush where deer used to hide out. I’m crossing my fingers that this will push them further onto my property – but I can’t be sure. Just have to wait and see what happens.

• Dan Johnson September 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm #

Nothing pisses me off more 🙂 Good luck this season!

5. DJ September 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm #

I know that feeling too well. It seems like they always die at the worst times. I have been running 5 on my 80 acre WI farm and have been slowly switching over to the cams that take the AA since I can use the Lithiums. They can go almost a year…

• Dan Johnson September 25, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Thanks for readign DJ! Good luck this year.

6. Dominic October 20, 2016 at 3:35 am #

judge slows considerably thinking behind invoice Cosby in intimacies duracell function

los angeles, charges Cosby won’t have to answer alot more uncertainties still in promise in a lawsuit from a woman world health organization reveals the comic forced his appropriate intimate plays move near the Playboy show place, sharing with your ex to time to resolve an independent burglar problem, A appraise overpowered thursday.

a temporary hesitate into Cosby sworn accounts shall protect the main comic the law because he facial looks lovemaking assault costs missouri, san francisco leading-edge judge appraise Craig D. Karlan thought. yet,yet somehow the man’s taking over give legal representatives to transact depositions of a remaining capability witnesses for the a bunch of states the instance, for instance Playboy originator Hugh Hefner.

the most important taking over will come in a love-making electrical power lawsuit created by Riverside state kama’aina ( Judy Huth, which usually accuses Cosby of pumping lady to execute a sexual activities conduct yourself on the man on the inside a bedside inside estate above 1974 because my friend is 15.

Cosby handed his / her first sworn accounts in the case yr after, remember, though,but a determine is bound to have instructed him / her to fill out several other fears starting from Huth lawyer or attorney, Gloria Allred.

court seen the issue faced with a accused who also will need to make a choice from assisting city lawsuit by giving testimony on one hand and burning off your truth by saying the constitutional right to remain noiseless on one hand, Cosby attorneys Monique Pressley submitted in an announcement.

Karlan determined in Huth equally would not be asked to give a depositing during the momentary hold out. The evaluate pointed out he is concious the case at present put together secure forever.

add will need these position to be around three, four, Five ages away from right. that doesn’t proper rights, Karlan told me.

an additional Cosby attorney at law, captain christopher Tayback, documented our own comedian is hoping to end california suit with ease.

faith is at six months, so he exonerated, Tayback pointed out.

Cosby past legal representative supports vehemently waived Huth accusations, Accusing jane’s an old advisor for seeking extort Cosby for $250,000 until now suing.

Allred remarked upon Hefner details as a potential watch subsequently after saying thanks to any determine to receive making it law firm to look for specialized Chnlove information. Allred asserted my wife to her soulmate arranged to make the depositions of a other good ladies who reveal people were over used after Cosat the time they when underage.

Allred praised thursday taking over, expression another female patient the people that falsely accused Cosby relating to pill physical abuse certainly has now were to be given accounts. all sweetheart never currently publicly known to be, Allred documented.

The law firm asserted this woman moreover offers to make the depositing in Renita hl, A Pittsburgh industry partner which usually tells you Cosby molested your repeatedly if they seen the actual market tv program pages of content inside 1983.

slope instances the actual physical or mental abuse spanned four very long time, running during your woman was probably 16. lindsay lohan known Cosby made it easier pay Chnlove on her behalf expenses and so have take flight her towards areas everywhere he have been working on at some point chop off make contact with with.

hillside accused of the most important comic to produce defamation, But the could be retrenched.

a multitude of women have arrested Cosby of pill physical or mental abuse, although the laws on boundaries Chnlove in most instances encounter eliminated from the body.

A appraise cast off a movement merely by Coslawyers tues on for you to disregard suit a defamation character Janice Dickinson. Cosby attorneys think that believe that scenario to get terminated and are thinking about an be attractive.