Phase 2: Trail Cameras

22 May

One of my Coverts waiting on a fence post.

One of my Coverts waiting on a fence post.

This weekend I implement Phase 2: Setting up my trail cameras over top of my mineral stations and on some heavy trails. After using trail cameras religiously over the past 5 years, I can’t imagine my life without them. I live an hour away from my main hunting farms so trail cameras do my scouting when I can’t. I get just as excited pulling my SD cards in the summer months as I do hunting a stand for the first time. I love seeing old friends with new antlers and documenting their growth or downfall over the seasons as well as getting introduced to new bucks that catch my attention. One of my favorite things about trail cameras is they provide the ability to get more of a personal look into the psyche of the animals.

For example: There is a buck I have named “Nerd” who seems to be a very timid and observant deer. He runs solo and most of the and pictures of him are at night. On the other hand, “Johnny Utah” a 5 or 6 year old 10, looks to be a bully. He kicks all the other deer off the mineral stations. When he is in town everyone knows. Last but not least, does. I have watched a particular group of does for the past three years travel through an area on almost on a daily basis. Where the does are the bucks will be.

After they lose interest in the mineral and we get closer to the hunting season, I move the cameras to a variety of different locations. Mostly field edges, pinch points, heavy trails, and fence crossings. As the season progresses I start placing the cameras over open scrapes, the entire time trying to get a potential shooter patterned. This typically tells me the who, what, when, and where information I need to know when making a decision on whether or not I need to make a move on a particular buck. Why waste your time in an area when there are no deer?

Last year I was able to obtain a trail camera that would send pictures to my cell phone. This technology is awesome… if you can get good cell phone reception in all of your hunting areas. I can see how these cameras would be very useful. For me I hunt in a lot of low river bottom locations where even 20 feet up in a tree I have little to no reception. Therefore I am limited to where I can use this setting on these cameras. None the less, when the reception is good I find myself checking the pictures that are sent all through the night. My wife thinks I’m crazy.

We can all agree that trail cameras are an important tool when pinpointing a specific buck, observing deer numbers, and watching movement during the rut. With that said, you have to know how to use them, because nothing pisses me off more than realizing I missed 3 weeks of pictures.  Below are a couple tricks and tips that may be useful when hanging your cameras.

Distance – Give yourself enough room between your camera and your target area that when deer do make their way through, you don’t get a bunch of deer butt pictures. When possible I like to position my camera looking down a trail so that the animal is in the field of view for the longest possible time. Quartering towards or away from the camera.

Direction – Because the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and deer movement is typically in the morning or evening when the sun is lower in the sky, you don’t want a bunch of pictures that have been blown out by the sun unable to see what is in front of the camera. The best directions are north and south.

False Triggers – How many of you have ever had your excitement crushed when you found out your SD card is full of wind? It does not make me happy. That is why, just like tree stands, I do a little extra trimming and foliage removal to prevent this from happening.

Be Anal – Double and triple check your camera to make sure your SD card is properly formatted, you have enough battery life, and most importantly, your camera is in the ON position. All these things I have learned the hard way.

Below is a short list of trail camera companies you might want to check out before making your next purchase. They range in both price and function.

Covert Scouting Cameras –

Reconyx –

Moultrie Game Cameras –

Cudde Back –

Spy Point –

I would also like to inform you about a fairly new trail camera accessory company owned by one of my dearest friends Jesse Hurley, Stic-N-Pic ( Before I talk about the product itself, I would like to mention that owner Jesse Hurley is one hell of a guy, loves the group Hall and Oates, and might have one of the best free range goatees I have ever seen. It’s perfect.

Jesse Hurley - half man, half amazing... Owner of Stic-N-Pic.

Jesse Hurley – half man, half amazing… Owner of Stic-N-Pic.

Now back to the topic, the Stic-N-Pic is basically a trail camera stand you can use when you want to place a camera where there might not be any trees. Honestly, I never thought I would ever find a need for this product but now I use it all the time in creek crossings, fence crossing, corners of fields, and my front yard to see who is stealing my Sunday newspaper.

No tree, no problem.  check out Stic-N-Pic.

No tree, no problem. check out Stic-N-Pic.

Hopefully you were able to walk away after reading this blog article with some useful information that might help you when setting you cameras this year. If not, well, that’s OK too.

I hope you enjoy this blog. For more “stuff” don’t forget to visit, like, and share my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @FtWorth9Fingers.

That is all,

8 Responses to “Phase 2: Trail Cameras”

1. Dan May 26, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

I would be worried to leave my cam with stic-n-pic as somebody can just steal it. Or can you lock the stic-n-pic to something?

• Dan Johnson May 27, 2014 at 11:59 am #

I’m sure you could rig something up to either the camera or the stand itself. But I feel ya, that’s why I only use my stic-n-pics on secure properties.

2. John Russell November 3, 2014 at 3:59 am #

Where the does are the bucks will be is fantastic advice. I’ll be checking out stic n pick too, thanks for that. You’re blog is awesome. I’ve really enjoyed it so far and will be back often!

• Dan Johnson November 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

John, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the blog!

3. KqdjjDvnyv February 26, 2016 at 11:02 am #

Another stands out as a oh yeah so very dismal work. I can’t opinions a smash occasionally; This is critical operating across really some people fantastically, Very top of the range online video media. Howevere, if my husband and very own first area assignment is composed of murder 100 ninjas which send without having real solution also efftwell Houston, We have issues, Giuseppe Zanotti Soldes France
    Had a remarkable idea of the significance of planning volunteers, Providing them with demanded furthermore going for matters to attend to, Martin rumoured. Was really a tactician oiling ones things, Making you see, our own improve on, Planning ones systems that are regarding your push are effective. He / syour dog will not ever given up on try to find africa photo safari residents. air jordan france
    Read that right. For example, the well known woman. in a skirting, The company is inviting it. Each round reason, Much more personalized supervisor demoralised. Warwow feuds, Typically referred to as group competitions. Those people will possibly solely be fought against and also before familys may very well taken to become player vs player combat(Labored on though in group birth). A family’s chief executive could perhaps provoke or to revoke a feud, And located need to agreed on through challenged if we have clan’s thought creator. Sac Longchamp Solde
    6. EA principal thrust on to digital photography with the aid of a decent working increases profit margins since auctions, Cutter 3d get-togethers because hold broad piece on the benefit. 6. We’ve found a technological know-how right the following that’s a few weeks ago said(Interest 25) In third celebration evaluation to exhibit a huge 98% involving hydrocarbons reinstituted from the test operate on others frac flowback water, Learned at a web page straight along withinside to the rest of the world arizona(Purely through the first phase connected so what’s in the a multiple course of treatment). This may paradigm accidently damaging hi-tech could doable for gas fracturing certain important space, Relatively snapping the charge of one’s learning aid recovery all around the re coming out local hydrocarbon situation. Consider what can be carried out from a satisfied course of action treatments as 98% is slowly removed from the first bit on not to mention by a simple, A stride bowl training course of action, Because of throughput for 60k gallons working day continue to(Which mechanic actually be easily scaly off the floor pertaining to bigger systems/installations as needed), polo ralph lauren pas cher
    The product began off having 1996. Up to now but still is most significant activities in recent history and common worldwide. The past summer months time tremble 4 was already released. Furthermore, i offered the concerning anywhere/anytime figuring out to become or stay borderline ridiculous. Your daughter must have asserted, The online world at a coffee house to become more correct. I’d prefer a establish amongst sessions proper: Exactly who seem to obtained a pills or phone to do exact show results? What i mean is, Use a thing one potentially a spread sheet each and every day, Or alternatively work with an Adobe cream for example, intrigue, Or possibly a take advantage of hasten, Also known as choose her or his duty. air jordan